Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Snow! Snow! And More Snow!

This past weekend we were hit with one of the biggest snow events we've had in the St. Louis area in quite a few years.  In fact, it was so snowy that we had to cancel our "Snow Story Times" at the library.  While stuck in the house watching the snow fall, it made me think of all my favorite books that feature snow.  Here are a few of my favorite picture books for children featuring snow . . . .

It's Snowing! by Olivier Dunrea
This quiet, gentle book about a mother that shares a snowy evening with her baby is probably my absolute favorite story about the snow.  It reminds me of my childhood when my family would gather at my grandma's house and we would go sledding late into the night.  For some reason, sledding after dark was more fun than sledding during the day.

Snow by Uri Shulevitz
This is probably my second favorite snow book.  It tells the story of a boy that insists that it is going to snow even though his family, the television, and the radio say it will not.  The sparsely told story is accompanied by wonderful illustrations that convey the magic that a snowstorm holds for a child.

Winter Woes by  Marty Kelly
This book is absolutely hilarious.  The boy narrator is excited to go out to play in the snow until he thinks of all the horrible things that can go wrong.  This book is guaranteed to illicit giggles from any child reading it.

No comments:

Post a Comment